Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Ash Wednesday: coming and going

"Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return."

Last year some of the people of Saint John the Evangelist offered ashes to our neighbors at 16th and Mission.

The offering was well received.

By way of The Lead, I came upon A Lent Where #BlackLivesMatter: 10 Ideas for Black History Month and the White Church. There's a lot there for most anyone.

For me, I'm beginning this season of reflection by listening to recordings of the African American theologian and civil rights leader Howard Thurman.

“There are two questions that we have to ask ourselves. The 1st is "Where am I going?" and the 2nd is "Who will go with me? If you ever get these questions in the wrong order, you are in trouble.”

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”

No comments: