Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Not everyone's idea of a breakthrough for women ...

... but I find this is uplifting: Jen Welter (l) is coaching inside linebackers for the Arizona Cardinals this preseason. Sarah Thomas (r) is the first full-time female NFL official. They greeted each other before the pre-season game between the Kansas City Chiefs and the Cards last weekend.

I assume they are both very good at what they do.

I don't find it hard to believe in Thomas' professionalism. My ex was a national-class women's rugby player back in the day and she went on to referee men's games. From what I've seen, male ruggers may be even more unruly than American football players.

But how do you coach linebackers in a sport in which you can't have played at a high level? Not surprisingly, Welter played women's rugby in college; then she developed her skills in the low profile world of women's American football. I sure hope Welter is a success. Women on the sidelines have been athletic trainers, if they weren't cheerleaders. But these roles are new.

Info and photo from the Guardian.

No comments: